1. Have you watched Office Space more times then you’d like to admit?
2. Do Sunday nights make you break out in a cold sweat?
3. Do you often escape into the bathroom during a meeting to scream, cry or punch something due to frustration?
4. Are you no longer able to manage your stress like you once could?
5. Are you trying to get answers from Google?
If you identify with the majority of these signs then you are more than likely in the wrong job. Your job fits you as well as your 5 year old’s sweater. The problem is that it’s a really well paying job and you have no idea what you’d do instead.
That is why…you’re still there…with a reoccurring case of the Mundays. But your grip on the ladder is starting to fail you and you don’t know how much longer you can hang on.
The good news is that you’re the architect of your own life. Yes your life. This isn’t just about your career it’s about your life.
Here’s what you can do about it.
Stop to think about what’s causing your stress? Look for your triggers
Write down why this is the job from hell – be specific. What doesn’t fit (i.e. too many details, no time to think etc)?
Now take that and turn each negative statement into a positive one (i.e. I get to work on one project at a time, I have time to think & plan – it’s part of my job)
Which parts of your job do you like?
When did you stop liking your job?
Now for the hard one…does part of the loathing you have for your job come from your attitude? If so how?
Don’t be like the 52.3% of Americans who are unhappy with their jobs (2014, Conference Board, the New York-based nonprofit research group). Chose to do something about it today.